Thursday, August 31, 2006

Tag Lines: Beyond Thunderdome

This blog shall not fester. A short piece on Ozu's Early Summer is forthcoming very soon, but first I must briefly mention something else, something from the category of things that make you feel embarrassed though you bear no responsibility for them whatsoever. It's a shame over being alive, I guess. Yet, an associate and I still have a minor obsession.

Recently I was at Blockbuster and I overheard, very dryly, "'His road, his rules.' This sounds pretty good." It was absolutely amazing. Behold: the tag line. Not only the tag line in full bloom, but the tag line demonstrating both its narrative efficiency and its allure. Imagine, then, my excitement over the tag line for the movie shown on the poster above: "One goal. A second chance." The symbolic grandeur cannot be understated. It is Jesus Christ scoring a fucking touchdown.

So, if you've actually read this far along, share with me one of your favorite tag lines, and be sure to tell me what movie it's from.